5013 Views     4500 Upvotes    5 Minutes Read    1042 Words 
 Upvote Go Back #11th-grade-Junior #Admission-Process #NYU
 Mentee:
I am a high school senior residing in Long Island. I am interested in NYU Stern, and I plan to apply ED1. Would you mind if I asked rather specific questions regarding admissions and applications?
 Mentor:
That's awesome! I'd love to talk with you about it!
 Mentee:
Here are some of questions. Sorry if they are a little long haha: 1. In the supplement "why NYU" are there any do's and don'ts that you can help me with? Also, would I be able to send it To you for a review and criticism, or is that not allowed? 2. Regarding act scores- I took a test in Feb 2016 and got a score of 35 which I was very proud of. Unfortunately on the same test I got a 20 writing score. I retook the test September 2016 but unfortunately my composite went down to 34. However, I am confident in a major writing jump up! Which score, if not BOTH, would you recommend sending. I have been debating this for many days now and have asked many people and I am torn on the decision. 3. I feel that I am performing very well this first marking period of my senior year. The marking quarter lasts from sept-mid-late November. Would it be an option to send these first quarter grades as an optional additional report or something along those lines if i were to apply ED1? Is it recommended? How would I go about this process. Thank you very much in advance once again for your time and advice!
 Mentor:
1) I think the best piece of advice I can give you here is to not be cliche. don't say you want to go to NYU cause it's in NYC, if you're going to mention the city mention how you want to go their because it infouence YOUR chosen major. Alwyas bring back everything you say to try and reference how YOU will benefit the school. they ask you why NYU, but it's also about them wanting to see if you'll be a good fit for them. So pitch yourself to let them know that you wanna go to NYU for x reason but they should also want you there for x reason
 Mentor:
2) for two.. In terms of getting a 20 writing - The writing test is scored on a dofferent scale than the regular act. Your reading, grammar, science and math are all scored out of 36 but the writing is onto scored out of 16, I think. So I don't even think it's posisbel to get a 20 writing. Also if your act score is 35 your writing is involved in that composite. trust me your writing score is fine. If it wasn't good your score wouldn't be a 35. But yeah - the writing test is on a different scale. I can't remember exactly what it's out of but i know when I took it i got a perfect score on the writing but it was only out of - i think - 16. so don't worry about that. Absoltely send in the 35. but know that the 34 is an INCREDIBLE score as well. My friend actually got a 36 on her act but it was one she had taken without the writing component so she couldn't send it in, and she ended uo having to send in a 34 she'd gotten on another act (with writing) and she got in easy! don't worry your scores are literally amazinng
 Mentor:
3) I applied ED1! And They don't require those scores. They ask you what classes you're taking in your application but you can, if i remember correctly, send in your quarter grades with your application! also - if you do apply ED1 and you get in (you'd find our around Dec 13-16), you have to send in your fall senester grades. Ut's a requirement. it's just so that they know you're still doing well in school. So like, after your winter break, NYU would reauire you send them your first semester teanscript. But, in regards to the actual application, it's not necessary. They're looking at your solid grades, and they want to know what classes you're taking senior year but you're grades (unless your school is on a quarter bases) aren't finalized so they won't want them. But you absolutely can send in your first quarter transcript along with the rest of your hs transcript. If the grades are strong it wouod only help you!
 Mentee:
Thank you so much for The advice! ACT recently changed their writing score to 36 scale and their entire writing section so I kinda screwed that up big time hahaha.
 Mentee:
Am I allow to directly send you my why NYU essay, or is there a separate service for that?
 Mentee:
Oh yeah, and my school actually does do it by a quarter basis so that would probably finalize things a lot more. The only thing I'm worried about is not getting T the scores in time cause they come out mid November. Can I send them separately?
 Mentor:
... The act sucks why did they chane their system like WHY. And i absoltely understand how disappointing it can be when you take a test and your goes down a bit but know that your 34 score is great snd any school wouod be lucky to have you with that score.
 Mentor:
I'm not actually allowed to accept essay's in chat but you can contatc the Mentr Admin through this email support@mentr.io and I can get your essay through there!!!
 Mentor:
and yes you can send them separately. and actually - NYU admissions is really good about stuff like this. you can email the head of admissions and ask them if it's okay for you to send the scores and they are really good about responding and letting you know. But yes you can send those as an addition. But know that it isn't necessary!
 Mentee:
Okay I made a request Through email
 Mentee:
And that's great I'll probably send my scores then. Should I email the head of admissions before or after the Nov 1 deadline?
 Mentor:
awesome!!! and you can email them whenever, but i'd recommend before that. Just because they'll get super busy around that time so just before that