626 Views     400 Upvotes    2 Minutes Read    510 Words 
 Upvote Go Back #11th-grade-Junior #Duke #Campus-Life
 Mentee:
Hi, I'm a high school junior. I'm still in the process of finding colleges that interest me, and recently, I started considering applying to Duke. I want to major in history. Have you enjoyed your experience at Duke so far? What are some of the best things about the school?
 Mentor:
Although I'm majoring in engineering, computer science and economics, I got a history minor as well. So I think I'm qualified to answer you question :). I really enjoy my experience here at Duke. There are always plenty of events to participate, and the academic environment is wonderful. You can switch among majors during the first two years freely
 Mentor:
There are many cross-listed courses, making double major (even cross unrelated fields) very feasible
 Mentee:
That's great! I've noticed not a lot of people here have a history degree in general, so I was worried I couldn't get any specific advice about that.
 Mentee:
*on
 Mentor:
Everyone has their own opinion of best thing at Duke
 Mentor:
My answer would be that Duke gives you a lot of opportunities for career or research
 Mentor:
I'm more towards industry; but I frequently receive emails from departments looking for students to join their current research program
 Mentor:
History department at Duke offer a variety of courses, talking about different parts of the world, different periods of history
 Mentor:
I'm currently auditing a course about Chinese Medicine History. The class size is 30, and I realize that it is the largest for history department
 Mentee:
I have another question about Duke: what admissions tips do you have to get in? I was just looking at my school's application history for Duke, and even though I come from a very high-achieving high school, only 2 people have been accepted out of 28. What kind of attributes does Duke look for in an applicant?
 Mentor:
I don't believe in those "tips", since if you look through university websites, you will probably find that all of them are looking for almost same characteristics
 Mentor:
So I would suggest you, and the same as I did for others, is that you should think about how to make yourself unique from others
 Mentor:
Tell about your fantastic experience; if you can't come up with a good one, then you can focus on how to describe it uniquely
 Mentor:
As for me, I went on a scientific expedition to Antarctica, so that's my uniqueness
 Mentor:
You should find yours
 Mentor:
Imagine you are the admission officer, you are building up a portfolio, so you definitely want it to be diverse
 Mentor:
That's the general advise. In terms of Duke, I'd say it is a plus if you can show that you embrace different cultures, races, genders
 Mentor:
Duke is in the south, and you know that are very very very few conflicts taken place on campus. So the schools definitely don't want to have somebody who shows hatred to other groups of students
 Mentor:
Moreover, showing interests in sport is always a good thing when you apply Duke
 Mentor:
And if you have more interests, just browse the Duke website and try to find something relates to you