4716 Views     4000 Upvotes    11 Minutes Read    2293 Words 
 Upvote Go Back #NYU #Campus-Life #12th-grade-Senior #Transfer
 Mentee:
I am starting to grow some interest into attended NYU. I have a couple of questions. First, how can you find time to focus on your studies when your in the middle of NYC?
 Mentor:
Honestly, It's disorienting at first. Because yes, you are in the middle of NYC. But!! it's also important to remember that you have the whole school year to travel about the city. And if you plan your classes accordingly, when admittedly is harder as a freshman (you don't have priority, seniors do), you can take classes where you end school at noon, then travel about the city until dinner. I honestly felt really torn my freshman year, because it is nyc ad I did want ro go everywhere and see everything I could. But at the same time you just have to remember that this isn't the same format as hs. you can have one class a day, teavel about, and then study at night. And I can 100% promise you that you'll find time to study. it's college, it's difficult. But it's not as distracting as you think. and - it's also nice because 'campus' is literally the east village - I mean you can study right on fifth avenue and rhat's campus.
 Mentor:
Honestly, It's disorienting at first. Because yes, you are in the middle of NYC. But!! it's also important to remember that you have the whole school year to travel about the city. And if you plan your classes accordingly, when admittedly is harder as a freshman (you don't have priority, seniors do), you can take classes where you end school at noon, then travel about the city until dinner. I honestly felt really torn my freshman year, because it is nyc ad I did want ro go everywhere and see everything I could. But at the same time you just have to remember that this isn't the same format as hs. you can have one class a day, teavel about, and then study at night. And I can 100% promise you that you'll find time to study. it's college, it's difficult. But it's not as distracting as you think. and - it's also nice because 'campus' is literally the east village - I mean you can study right on fifth avenue and rhat's campus.
 Mentee:
Great! Its good to know you can find time to study in NYC! However, I have a couple of problems and maybe you can point me in the right direction. ( Thank you for your time by the way ). First is that I was not a superstar performer in HS until I was in my senior year. Thats is when I studied really hard to get into a good college such as NYU or Harvard. However, because of my lack of performance in the years prior, my guidance counselor recommended that I go to a local community college until I am ready to transfer. I took his advice and I am currently enrolled. But now, I want to make sure I go to a College that I would like. What different aspects has helped you get into NYU and did you have any doubters along the way?
 Mentee:
Great! Its good to know you can find time to study in NYC! However, I have a couple of problems and maybe you can point me in the right direction. ( Thank you for your time by the way ). First is that I was not a superstar performer in HS until I was in my senior year. Thats is when I studied really hard to get into a good college such as NYU or Harvard. However, because of my lack of performance in the years prior, my guidance counselor recommended that I go to a local community college until I am ready to transfer. I took his advice and I am currently enrolled. But now, I want to make sure I go to a College that I would like. What different aspects has helped you get into NYU and did you have any doubters along the way?
 Mentee:
 Mentee:
 Mentor:
Oh, absolutely. And, just to say, I have a lot of friends rhat teansferred in from community colleges. It's honestly a very smart move. Community colleges are great schools and I think they really prepare you for 4-year universities. But, yeah. I had some major doubters. My GPA was always good, but that was more due to the fact that I have a crazy white mom that was always on my back about grades. But my test scores were never strong (I took the ACT). I actually really wanted to go to USC (same acceptance requirements as NYU). I had a meeting with a dean-type person, and he essentially told me I had no chance. So I never applied to USC and I genuinely regret it. And I never thought I'd get into NYU. My GPA was on the mark but my test scores were way lower, and in more ways than one I didn't really fit into the school's requirements. But, again, my mom basically forced me to apply and I somehow got in. Just know that you have every chance to get in, and there are ALWAYS going to be haters. It's so cliche, but it's genuinely true. People try to force you into this societal mold, like "Sorry u don't fit on this graph so you have no chance" and college just isn't like that. I have SO MANY friends that had "way less of a chance", by certain people's standards, of getting in, but they're here. If you want it, Then you have a chance. I honestly mean that. Plus, attending a community college is a VERY smart thing to do. You have a much stronger chance of getting in than most people because your grades are worth more. I just want to say that I hope you don't let anyonethat tells you they don't believe in you get into your head. Because, from what you've told me, you're making all the right moves to get in. So whoever is sayif otherwise is fulll of shit. I had a lot of people that were like "yaa. Not likely." like straight up, people wouod say that. And the truth is it just doesn't matter what any of them think because it's not about them, it's about you
 Mentor:
I think my mom is the major reason my mom got in, and I had really good extra curriculars. I genuinely think that's why I got in. I went to state almost ever year for both gymnastic and track, so that really helped me. we all have different qualities - and they see you for more than just what your numbers suggest
 Mentee:
Wow! I am starting to see a little more clearly. Thank you! Also, is it easy to talk to new people once you arrive? I have heard that NYU is a very competitive and sometimes it can be hard to speak to people.
 Mentor:
Honestly it's very easy to talk to people. Everyone is coming from somewhere, and everyone is as lost as you are. That's a beautiful aspect of this school - it's international. So many kids are coming from different backgrounds and places, while at the same time a lotnof kids are in very similar situations as you. So it's very easy to relate to other people because they're as new as you are. Do NOT get me wrong - this school has some of the most pretentious people I've ever met. But you learn how to deal with them, and more or less they have to learn how to deal with other human beings. But this school is filled with wonderful people who are so like you and me and it's honestly SO easy to talk to people here. I have fairly severe social anxiety and coming here was difficult - but everyone is open and if you speak to people they always respond in a a very outspoken way and that's another beautiful part of NYc People are naturally more open tomeeting different and new people. I promise it's very easy to tlak to people and make friends, but you do run into some of those people that are a bit "I'm terrific let me talk about myself for 14 years(:", but that's not the majority.
 Mentor:
(you being a general term in this sense)
 Mentee:
Thank you! I am enlightened to know that the majority of the students there are friendly. ( I can tell so far by the help you have given me ) Finally, I am aware that NYU is ranked as one of the most expensive schools in the country. Is it true that NYU cost 72k a year? And if I am lucky enough to get accepted, are there any scholarships that I can locate in order to resolve this issue?
 Mentor:
It's unbelievably expensive. I'm currently a junior and my freshman year the tuition was 65k a year, and each year it's gone up. This year it was around 75k. It's a private university in the us - so they're trying to take everything. But - you can absolutely get scholarships. Again, a lot of my friends are here on scholarships. I have one friend that has a 40k scholarship, a few friends have full rides, and others just have a few thousand, but anything helps. Something you really need to think about, if you do want to come here, is whether or not you'd be willing to take on student loans. That's a huge commitment, but most people here (other than some that are extroadinarily wealthy and there are a lot of people here that are) take loans. you can absolutely get scholarships, and the school does it's best to help you find some. along with google as well you can find scholarships anywhere, but it helps to go through the financial aid office as it goes through the school. But it's expensive. and the city is very expensive - so it's absolutely a lot to put on, but I don't regret coming here. There are moments where I feel a bit off about it, but it's gifen me so many opportunities and I'm grateful for that. Just know that you have options - you can look for scholarships online, and if NYU doesn't give you any you can try and appeal. And if none of that works and you still want to come here, you couod take a loan - but know that's a LOT to take on at our age. So research it, know what exactly it means and then let yourself decide
 Mentee:
Thank you for your insight! This seems to be a major concern with most people I speak with in regards to NYU. I am also curious about the job opportunities/ internships in the city. Are they easy to find? And does NYU help with that? I have seen a lot of NYU students partaking in internships and to be honest working in the city seems very appealing to me. And does NYU have a curfew? It just came to my attention.
 Mentor:
NYU can be helpful - But it's really uo to you and where you look. There are so many HQ's in nyc, so you can work anywhere you want, really. you just have to GET the internship. and that's difficult because there is a lot of competiton. but if you sign up for Wasserman (NYU's job area) they will email you internships you can apply to THROUGH NYU. and sometimes those are easier to get than applying independently. And no, it doesn't have a curfew haha. but your dorm would have quiet hours - so if you were coming in at 4 am on a tuesday you would just need to be quiet as not to wake the other people on your floor.