1293 Views     1010 Upvotes    2 Minutes Read    578 Words 
 Upvote Go Back #UPenn #Economics #11th-grade-Junior #Major-Selection
 Mentee:
I've been looking at UPenn my entire life for economics/MIS. I'm currently a junior outside of philly. What has your experience been like so far, and how did you decide your major? Thanks so much
 Mentor:
Hi so far I have loved my experience here. There are always a million things going on and so many friendly people. While it can be overwhelming, it isn't hard to find your niche. I guess one drawback with Penn is that because there are so many events and organizations it is very easy to miss out on opportunities. The most important thing to know is that there are always more to come and no one Event will make or break your penn experience. I decided on my major because I really liked math in high school but I also am very extroverted. It seemed to me that business was the perfect fit and Penn offers the world's best undergraduate business program. If you follow your interests and follow your passions you will thrive here
 Mentee:
Ok awesome! I am a very big math person myself, but on the flip side, I'm a huge introvert haha. That's why I was sort of leaning towards management information systems (MIS). Do you know if there are any admission keys for Penn like SAT or GPA that they tend to rely heavily on, or is it just that everything has an equal part in your application?
 Mentor:
Ok yeah it sounds like MIS would be a good fit for you then. From what I read during admissions, Penn relies more heavily on GPA than SAT scores, but you still have to surpass a certain threshold. When I took the sats I remember reading the threshold was getting at least triple 700s in all three categories (though with the new SAT it will probably be different). Another thing people tend to underestimate is the essay. It's really important to have a strong essay that really communicates your voice as a writer.
 Mentee:
OMG haha 700's? Jeez. I had an 800 math and a 660 reading. Idk if that means anything to you haha. I still have no idea what to write for my essay! I've thought about it so much, but it's so hard coming up with one for mathematics because you don't really have personal ties to it like you would medical! Any tips?
 Mentee:
My GPA should be over the benchmark for Penn (3.9 UW and 4.5 W) but there's so many people out there with scores and GPA's like that so I'm trying to set myself apart somehow.
 Mentee:
If I'm being a naive high schooler with goals set too high let me know please!!! Haha I don't wanna waste your time
 Mentor:
I'm not sure how reading scores are comprised with the new SAT but I would say try to get the reading score up at least 40 points and then don't worry about it. If you had any service projects or something to stand apart and could relate it to your passion in math then that would make for a good essay
 Mentee:
Yeah I took part in a community service project where we could teach kids that weren't in the best situation some math and science skills. Maybe I could relate it to that! Thank you so much man!!! 😊
 Mentor:
That sounds great make sure you focus on why you did this community service instead of just the experience alone. That is the latest trend in college admissions