1167 Views     800 Upvotes    3 Minutes Read    710 Words 
 Upvote Go Back #Princeton #11th-grade-Junior #Chance-Me
 Mentee:
Hi there! I'm currently a junior in high school wondering about admissions chances to Princeton! I have a 3.9 UW and 4.52 W GPA, 1510 SAT, and a 34 ACT. I'm the co-head programmer of the robotics team for two years, and I am on the A team for math league and science Olympiad. If I have any chance at getting in to Princeton please let me know! Thanks so much! 😊
 Mentor:
Thanks for reaching out! Based on the numbers, you are most definitely qualified, and I'm happy to see that you have dedicated your time to three extracurriculars. So go for it! A lot of people think that you have to do something or be someone unusually remarkable to be accepted, and while that might help, Princeton is full of ordinary people, who are just passionate for a specific field or cause. Because you're well-equipped, the one piece of advice that I have for you is to reflect whatever passion you have in your application and your willingness to learn, to grow, and to contribute meaningfully to broader community of people.
 Mentor:
I hope that makes sense :)
 Mentor:
If you have any more specific questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them and clarify anything that might be unclear.
 Mentee:
Wow! That really makes me feel good! My college counselors keep telling me I have no shot at any ivies because of my SAT and EC's so I'm just trying to get a second perspective! I completely agree with you that people spread around all this stuff about being in national competitions and stuff but where you do end up finding the time for that while keeping everything else in check you know? I'm planning on majoring in MIS (management information systems) or quantitative analysis. Do you know anything about those programs at Princeton?
 Mentor:
Just to make sure is that your two part score? And you're EC's look fine. As long as you've devoted your high school years to a few activities and earned a leadership role, you've done your job right :)
 Mentor:
And I'm not sure if Princeton offers those programs.
 Mentor:
I checked a few sites, and to double check and I don't see them
 Mentor:
Here's a link to a list of departments and programs: http://www.princeton.edu/main/academics/departments/
 Mentee:
Ok thank you!
 Mentee:
Wow I guess I should've checked that before messaging you! 😂 although applied and computational mathematics is pretty similar to quantitative analysis so at least that's offered in some form or another!
 Mentee:
And yes my SAT is the two-part new SAT with only math and reading!
 Mentee:
So that's like a 2270 on the old SAT
 Mentor:
It's alright! I figured that you are interested in that area, but I'm not involved in that department, so I can't answer an questions without possibly giving you a wrong answer :( But I can assure you that it's amazing because every faculty member is very accomplished in his or her field, and Princeton is very undergraduate-oriented, so you'll receive all the attention and the resources that you need with ease.
 Mentor:
And I was thinking with the old SAT in mind because that's what I took, but I just wanted to double check.
 Mentee:
Yeah haha 1510 is a little low on the old scale
 Mentee:
Do you know if they put GPA or SAT as their first priority when viewing applications?
 Mentor:
First off, a 1510 is a phenomenal score for any school, so you shouldn't be worried about it. And they are very important in the application review process, but they are not the be-all-end-all. Princeton can easily fill a class with students with amazing GPA's and standardized test scores, but the goal of the admission team is to select the people that will contribute positively to the campus community and that will make differences at the societal scale beyond college. So it is true that Princeton and other schools try to look through holistic lens. Numbers might be used to weed out applications because they receive so many, but again, your scores and your GPA are great.
 Mentee:
Thank you!!! 😊
 Mentor:
You're right in the mix with other applicants, and just because you don't have 5.0 or a perfect test score, that doesn't mean you don't have a chance
 Mentor:
And you're very welcome :)