1634 Views     1000 Upvotes    3 Minutes Read    648 Words 
 Upvote Go Back #Johns-Hopkins #Mathematics
 Mentee:
Hi there! I've been very interested in JHU since 8th grade and was wondering what campus life is like as a college student, because I'm sure it's pretty different from touring environment. I'm currently a junior outside philly looking to major in mathematics like yourself. How's your experience been with the education system so far in the math department? Thanks so much
 Mentor:
I'm also from outside philly! The math department here is awesome. The classes are tough, but tough for a reason. We have two math departments: applied math and pure math. One is engineering and the other arts and sciences. Both are excellent departments and I'd be happy to talk more!
 Mentor:
Hey Steven! I'm also from outside philly! The math department here is awesome. The classes are tough, but tough for a reason. We have two math departments: applied math and pure math. One is engineering and the other arts and sciences. Both are excellent departments and I'd be happy to talk more!
 Mentee:
Yeah I was assuming they were tough haha! I think I would go with the applied math department. I was looking to do MIS (management information systems) along with a math/statistics major. I've always been a math nerd haha. Do you know anything about chances of admissions? I have a 3.9 UW and 4.52 W GPA, 1490 SAT, and 34 ACT. Idk if those would purely be the things to get me in, but it seems JHU places an emphasis on scores and essays more so than EC's but I could be a little naive haha. Thanks!
 Mentee:
Yeah I was assuming they were tough haha! I think I would go with the applied math department. I was looking to do MIS (management information systems) along with a math/statistics major. I've always been a math nerd haha. Do you know anything about chances of admissions? I have a 3.9 UW and 4.52 W GPA, 1490 SAT, and 34 ACT. Idk if those would purely be the things to get me in, but it seems JHU places an emphasis on scores and essays more so than EC's but I could be a little naive haha. Thanks!
 Mentor:
Those seem like pretty excellent scores. Personally, I had a 2220 SAT and a 3.99 GPA, so my GPA was superb but my SAT could've been a bit better.
 Mentor:
Essays are pretty big as well and JHU loves community service being that JHU is pretty intertwined with Baltimore and is proud to promote community with Baltimore
 Mentee:
Wow that's a really good GPA! My high school requires us to do about 100 hours of community service each year so I should have about 350 or so around the time I apply. If you don't mind me asking, what other schools did you apply to/ get accepted to?
 Mentor:
For me it was between here, Carnegie, and PENN.
 Mentor:
I applied to some of the other ivies and MIT but didn't get into them (Princeton, Yale, and Harvard)
 Mentee:
WOW that's amazing!
 Mentor:
I chose JHU because I could run for the track and cross country teams
 Mentee:
Oh nice I run cross country as well! :)
 Mentor:
Sweet! Btw do you want to make an appointment to talk?
 Mentor:
Frankly I'm not sure how the system works but I think I could answer a lot of your questions if we had an appointment
 Mentee:
So did you see JHU and Carnegie as safeties out of your chosen colleges?
 Mentee:
And once I'm done my work and projects and stuff we can arrange one haha. School is killing me right now lol
 Mentor:
No way! JHU is basically the same caliber as the upper echelon of ivies. It's an amazing research university too. My safeties were Emory, Rutgers (honor college), and a few others
 Mentee:
Oh alright cool! I was thinking of Emory as well. At the moment I'm thinking my safeties are: Boston college, RPI, Penn State, and UMaryland. Thoughts?