4682 Views     4002 Upvotes    11 Minutes Read    2343 Words 
 Upvote Go Back #NYU #College-Tour #California
 Mentee:
Hi I am applying to NYU this fall. I have never visited NYU before because I live all the way in California. I was wondering if you could share your experience starting at NYU? Also any background info like where you came from, how was the transition, did you have to move far, etc.? Any extra information you want to add would be rlly helpful. Thanks in advance!
 Mentor:
Absolutely! I'm from Chicago, Originally. I hope it makes you feel better to know that I'd never visited NYU before actually arriving on the first day of school. We'd planned to come visit, but other obligations seemed to get in the way. It's actually interesting (sad, more-like) because I'd never really been to chicago, either. I lived (at most) 30 minutes from the city and I'd visited only a few times per year. So city living was absolutely not anything I'd been accustomed to. So, I got to NYU and (when I was a freshman we had 1 week for welcome week. So, we arrived obe week before classes, whereas now the freshman get about 4 days. Politics, I guess.) I lived in Brittany (if you look up the freshman dorms!) and I was so fucking confused. The day before i flew out i literally thought i was going to throw up all day, and there's nothing in your mind that can genuinely preare you for what NYC is like. You see it on tv, and you have a very strong media image of what it is, but nothing actually compares. So, when I first got here it was weird. You stay in your NYU bubble, because it's more comfortable staying in the east village than traveling about new york. But the great thing about NYU is everyone (literally, almost everyobe) is as confused as you are. Most of the kids are international, so they're still like "whatty the fuck is health care??" and everyone is new to college. It's a super diverse school so making friends is honestly very easy, and everyone comes here without really knowing anyone else. And tbh I didn't like ny that much when ai got here. It smells liek shit, the people are crazy, and it's very different from any other setting. I've lived in a lot of places, but nothing is like nyc. And I think for the first semester I was still like "where am I, what is this." But last semester I studied abroad in London and I swear to god I missed NYC so much. Every time I fly bsck in it's like a sense of relief washes over me. And I genuinely believe that's a feeling that everyone here has. It's the most free place I've ever been, like it completely changes you. And NYU, yeah it has it's issues. It's too expensive, the website is a shit show (if you come here you'll 100% know what I mean), Not entirely sure where our money actually goes?? But it's the greatest school because It wants you become a real person as much as you want to become one. because we go to college to find new people, learn new things, and, essentially, grow up. And it forces you to do that. I feel like I'm spewing words out to you but I really want you to understand that coming to a city like this it is a little bir difficult to adjust, but you're surrounded by so many people that are going through the same thing that It's honestly very easy. And you might get home sick, a lot of people do. But the city becomes home so quickly, that you're as hoemsick for nyc in the summer as you are for your family while here at school. also nyu does a good job of getting you accustomed to the city. And compared to hs... and most other colleges, NYU is fucking amazing when youbget here because it's free, interesting, the teachers are hella cool and it gives you so many opportunities that You can't even recognize all of them even if they're right in front of your fave
 Mentor:
so i sent you an essay sorry but just to help what do you plan on majoring in?
 Mentor:
Also!!! Almost all of my friends are from california. So many kids come here from cali so you'd be surrounded by people from very similar backgrounds as you
 Mentor:
It's normal to feel alone coming to college. but you're not. Especially not here.
 Mentee:
Thank you for all the amazing advice!!! I plan study at stern and most likely major in business management and organization
 Mentee:
Thank you for all the amazing advice!!! I plan study at stern and most likely major in business management and organization
 Mentee:
Also just a quick few Qs. How did u learn about using the subway? And was it hard packing and flying ur stuff over to nyu? Thanks again for the advice
 Mentee:
Also just a quick few Qs. How did u learn about using the subway? And was it hard packing and flying ur stuff over to nyu? Thanks again for the advice
 Mentee:
 Mentee:
Whoops sorry idk why its sending so many times
 Mentor:
The app does that but it's new I think so the bugs are there. Stern's a good one. stern has cohorts so freshman year you have a group of people and a leader (usually a junior or senior) that shows you around and that's really helpful in getting to know people and he area as well (in in steinhardt and we don't do cohorts - only CAS and stern. But my friends told me it helps a lot (literally almost all of my friends are in CAS or stern.) and omg don't worry about the subway at all. Like don't let yourself stress over it. it's so confusing at first but google maps is all you need. It'll tell you what line to use, how many stops, where to go. You'll get used to it super quick. But we're lucky we live in the digital age because with google maps you really don't have to know anything bout the subway and you'll still be fine. And packing is hard. But it's hard because I way over pack and never know why to bring. it's helpful to either a, ship stuff, or b, get a storage locker in ny. Not very expensive and helps so much when it comes to packing
 Mentee:
Omg the google maps trick will probably save my life lol and knowing about the cohorts makes me feel a lot less nervous about going to nyu. So for packing u can just ship ur stuff to the building ur staying at or is there a specific spot? Also two last questions 1. What clothing do you recomnd for winter? And 2. Is they any extra tips or advice that you can give me? Thanks again for all this i formation it rlly helps calm my nerves
 Mentor:
Yes. It's scary. I was scared. But I can almost promise you that you'll be making great friends Ned meeting making people from he moment you get here. So what I do (because bringing more than two suitcases is a financial dream for airports because they make a lot of money on extra baggage. If you were to bring 4 bags through he airport you'd end up spending at lest 275- up. Whereas shipping, I spent only 70 bucks shipping all of my shoes (I have an unbelievable number of shoes) and all my clothes. I shipped them straight to my dorm. And you have contact with the dorm you are placed into and you can say "I'm shipping such and such, what are the dates I should ship it?" And they email you IMMEDIATELY when your packages arrive so that's very helpful. And then when you get here, before you leave for the sunmer, maybe get a storage Locke to keep big items in Or your winter clothes that way the trip down your following year will a) be a lot cheaper and b) save a lot of time and space.
 Mentor:
aha YES you're a Cali kid you don't understand the cold. Well, I am from Chicago so you are asking the right person. My Gets cold. The wind is very strong, it rains a lot, and it's definitely something you will Need to get accustomed too. The best jackets I have found (and I am from Chicago and I know our weather is much worse) are the north face coats. They're very light, you can get a longer one or a shorter one, but they keep you very warm. They round from $300 and up but you can use them for years and years and they're wind resistent!! Bring scarves, they help you look stylish whilst also blocking your face from the cold bad juat make sure to get some gloves. The cold is something you will get used to it hurts. So take your time. Also - get a few fall jackets (lighter jackets) that you can wear until it does get a Bit colder. And BUY A WIND RESISTANT UMBRELLA. I'm not joking. Your umbrella will break in half otherwise. Just make sure it's wind resistant.
 Mentor:
aha YES you're a Cali kid you don't understand the cold. Well, I am from Chicago so you are asking the right person. My Gets cold. The wind is very strong, it rains a lot, and it's definitely something you will Need to get accustomed too. The best jackets I have found (and I am from Chicago and I know our weather is much worse) are the north face coats. They're very light, you can get a longer one or a shorter one, but they keep you very warm. They round from $300 and up but you can use them for years and years and they're wind resistent!! Bring scarves, they help you look stylish whilst also blocking your face from the cold bad juat make sure to get some gloves. The cold is something you will get used to it hurts. So take your time. Also - get a few fall jackets (lighter jackets) that you can wear until it does get a Bit colder. And BUY A WIND RESISTANT UMBRELLA. I'm not joking. Your umbrella will break in half otherwise. Just make sure it's wind resistant.
 Mentor:
And lastly, I do want to say this.. I have a number of friends, as I said, that arrest from California and I want to be honest with you in saying that they had a very difficult time in winter. Not Because of the cold, but because unlike at home- it limits your ability to go out wherever you want, whenever you want. Sometimes it does get so cold that you really have to just stay inside all day. And that's the hardest thing I have seen for my western friends. Itcan be depressing, and I want to be very honest with you about that. But, if you find the right people (aka people from Chicago or Boston - people who know the cold) they can help you out a lot. Weather does very much affect mood so my tip is to surround yourself with people who understand what it's like because they've always lived through the cold and have their own unique ways of keeping happy through it. I'm not sure if that makes a lot of sense - but just mentally prepare yourself for entirely different weather. Because ny experiences them all
 Mentee:
This helps so much!!! Thank you for answering my questions and hopefully i will be at nyu next fall
 Mentee:
This helps so much!!! Thank you for answering my questions and hopefully i will be at nyu next fall
 Mentor:
Of course! If you have any other questions please feel free to ask - and you can friend me on fb if you want to do that as well. Here to help and happy that I have eased your nerves in some way!
 Mentee:
Hey Rachael i have a few specific questions that i hope you can answer. Firstly, from the airport to the college did you take a cab? And is that what most out of state kids do or how do they get from the airport to the college? Also what type of boots are needed for NYC? And does the study abroad get covered by tuition or is that extra?
 Mentor:
Of course! I did take a cab. there is a taxi line directly outside of the airport (i ALWAYS fly into Laquardia.) yes almost everyone takes a cab. It's very simple so don't worry yourself. I panicked wo much about it but immediately after you get your luggage you walk outside and there are signs everywhere for the taxi line! And any type that are COMFORTABLE. get rain boots for sure, but know that when you first get here anything you where is going to hurt because your feet have to get used to walking. So where comfortable boots, and waterproof. trust me... don't where anything suede. and, it depends on the city you go to. I went to London which is the most expensive city jn the world - and the pound is much stronger (It happened AFTER brexit which happened RIGHT after i left. sad, huh??) So housing was more expensive BECAUSE younpay according to location and housing prices in london are obsurd. so where as here my housing is 8,500 per semester (in dollars) my housing in london was 8,500 in POUNDS, which is a lot more. You can apply for scholarships for study abroad, but you can also go to a cheaper city. so tuition usually stays the same, but housing and living costs are always changing because they are dependent on location!(: