659 Views     400 Upvotes    2 Minutes Read    452 Words 
 Upvote Go Back #UC #UC-Berkeley #Chance-Me
 Mentee:
Hi! I was wondering if I could bother you for some questions on Berkeley. Thank you!
 Mentor:
Hi! Feel free to ask me anything!
 Mentee:
Uh I just wanted to ask you if you think I'd be accepted into Berkeley.
 Mentor:
That's very hard to say since there are so many factors both subjective and objective. I think the most we can do is do our best, try to hit the baseline of objective factors, and ask others to proofread everything.
 Mentee:
Ok so I got a 1380 on the new sat (out of 1600) 700 on math and 680 on reading. On subjects tests, I scored 750 on Chemistry and 640 on Biology. I don't know whether Berkeley considers AP tests but I got 5's on Psychology and English language and Composition and 4's on Chemistry, Biology, and US History. Because of my scores, I got the AP scholar with Distinction award from collegeboard. For my senior year I am taking AP Political Science, AP Calculus BC, AP Computer Science A, AP Physics, and AP Literature. I'm very involved in school, I'm on 2 athletic teams and captain of my schools mock trial. I'm in 4 clubs and one of the head officers in my schools student body.
 Mentee:
My weighted average on my transcript is 102.02%
 Mentee:
I'm also rank 26/1035
 Mentor:
I'd say that you are doing very well. Though I cannot guarantee if you will get in, if you convey your story in a meaningful way, I think you should definitely apply you Berkeley.
 Mentee:
I don't know if this helps but I immigrated to USA. I'm African American, come from VERY VERY low income, and live with a single parent.
 Mentor:
Honestly I think you have a good chance regardless. Just make sure you have good essays in addition to your app. Let me know if you want me to read over them :)
 Mentee:
Absolutely. Thank you so much for your time with everything but I just have one more question.
 Mentor:
No problem! Go for it
 Mentee:
How much do you think Berkeley would help with the financial aspect of Berkeley. I know Cornell has this policy where if the family makes less than 60k a year, the parents' expected input is 0 and the school offers a grant to assist the student. To the best of your knowledge, does Berkeley offer anything similar?
 Mentor:
As far as I know, Berkeley does have a financial aid program, though not as extensive as some of the private schools. There is more information on their website and if you visit saservices.berkeley.edu/calculator/ they have a financial aid net price calculator.
 Mentee:
Thank you, that was very helpful!
 Mentor:
Np! Let me know if you have anymore questions :)