1540 Views     1134 Upvotes    3 Minutes Read    723 Words 
 Upvote Go Back #NYU #Common-App #Essay-Review #Admission-Process
 Mentee:
Hi, I was wondering about the personal statement part of the college application- I've been having a lot of trouble thinking of what to write, and how to write it (without sounding cliche). If you could help me out and just tell me what colleges are looking for, along what lines it would help a lot! thanks
 Mentor:
Absolutely! I would love to help.
 Mentor:
I know that for most schools it's writing about something they can say "shit, I haven't hesrd that one too many times. We can hold onto her." The issue with the admissions process is that it's sort of inhuman. But if you write a personal statement thay stands out enough that they can say "oh, check so and so off the box" It becomes, to a degree. a bit more human. Is there a specific question for the personal stayement or it just asking "who r u, why r u applying!"
 Mentee:
some of the schools are just asking why are you applying, and some gave the prompt of basically tell me about your background or something that shaped you, or a talent, or a failure. I moved from Wisconsin to California when I was 14 and I was thinking about talking about that, adding in things about being in student government/ leadership and how that shaped me- but I felt it was so basic and that many people would write along those lines
 Mentor:
Yesss. NYU was very similar. I applied to the Music Business program so I shaped my perosnal statement around music, but it was difficult because you have to do your best to be unique. Okay. I would recommend not writting about Student Government, etc. Because they're goinf to see that you're doing those things on your transcript. Well, and you by no means have to tell me anything because It's not necessary that I know, I would say it's best to write something personal. Like we're all shaped by something - and more often than not applicants will write very basic, trivial versions of themselves. i think it helps to look at college, not so many as an institution, as the people who built it. Wherever you send your application, a human being will be reading it. and what you want is for that lerson to connect with you. I like the idea of you writing about movinf from wisconsin to cali, because movig changed you a lot. But write about, if you use that, how it built you into the person you are, or how it took away pieces of what you are and then, connect it to WHY you want to apply to said school. Like "i moved from wis to cali and it changed my life etc etc nd because of this change bla bla (list the great aspects of university) and how you feel that it'll help you grow. Like you're pitching yourself: Talk about you, but remember it's not so much about YOU but about rhe college you're applying to
 Mentor:
it's all a system. They want you to write about yourself but what a lot of high schoolers don't realize is that colleges are, truthfully speaking, attention whores. they want their ego to be rubbed at least a little
 Mentor:
I wrote an essay. SORRY. but i will say if you ever would like someone to read your essay I'd be happy to do it. and I will also, no matter what school you go to, would be happy to take yourbessay to my schools admissions and just see what they think of it. UNLESS UR APPLYING HERE then I'd just ask the writing team. hahaha
 Mentee:
Thank you SO MUCH! you don't know how much you have helped me out, I'm in the process of writing 2, if I could send you them once I'm finished I would appreciate your honest thoughts on them. You've been more help to me than anyone else!
 Mentor:
Absolutely. I would love to help! Applying to college is really difficult (emotionally, mentally, physically even) so I'd be more than happy to help in any way. If easier, you could email me your essays as rem492@nyu.edu and just let me know it's you in the subject line. I'm genuinely so happy that information helped you and, again, I'm here for that reason so feel free to ask about anything