3583 Views     2004 Upvotes    7 Minutes Read    1403 Words 
 Upvote Go Back #Admission-Process #NYU
 Mentee:
do you know anything about NYU stern and their admission process?
 Mentor:
Of course!
 Mentor:
that's what I'm here for
 Mentor:
So, What's the question my man?
 Mentor:
Yes, I do.
 Mentor:
almost all of my friends are in stern.
 Mentor:
Which, if i may ask, major within stern are you looking at?
 Mentee:
I was looking at business with a finance concentration
 Mentee:
do you know what the average ACT and GPA is to get accepted
 Mentor:
okay so finance is the number one major in stern so it is definitely the most competetive to get into. I believe that the "expected stats" are around 18.1% acceptance all togetjer for stern. Now, GPA usually needs to be around 3.9, Base level. but the act (i assume ur midwest?) should be in the 30's. Honestly what matters is your math and science for your act. So i would aim for 34/33. they do accept less, you are MORE than just a number. but usally act should be in mid to high 30's
 Mentee:
i have a 32 act
 Mentee:
also i'm from new jersey
 Mentee:
i thought stern had one big admission pool? i didnt know they distinguished between major
 Mentee:
i can try to get my act up one more point but my GPA is completed at a 3.85 UW, 4.05 W
 Mentee:
i can try to get my act up one more point but my GPA is completed at a 3.85 UW, 4.05 W
 Mentee:
i dont know why that sent three times
 Mentor:
No worries. my wording was incorrect. Within the school finance is a bit major, so while at NYU it's very competitive. You're GPA is very good. Stay confident in that. what are your extra curriculars. and Most kids I meet at stern have an act of about 33/34 but your gpa does cover some of that. a 32 is a grwat score and actually it helps that you're from new jersey
 Mentor:
No worries. my wording was incorrect. Within the school finance is a bit major, so while at NYU it's very competitive. You're GPA is very good. Stay confident in that. what are your extra curriculars. and Most kids I meet at stern have an act of about 33/34 but your gpa does cover some of that. a 32 is a grwat score and actually it helps that you're from new jersey
 Mentor:
what matters mainly are when you apply (ed, ed2, RD) and how you're essays turn out and the MATH and science basis of your act
 Mentor:
what matters mainly are when you apply (ed, ed2, RD) and how you're essays turn out and the MATH and science basis of your act
 Mentee:
i have a 33 on math and a 29 on science
 Mentor:
okay, the math score is good. but try to raise science. when do u plan to apply?
 Mentee:
RD
 Mentee:
i was planning on taking the ACT in december before applications and try to get my science up
 Mentor:
Okay. Rd is a lot harder to get into - But you have stats that are very much equal ti what stern wants. Which means..... essentially, i'll be honest- that it comes down to your essay's and how much you could pay the school. nyu works thag way
 Mentee:
i would apply ED but i dont want to jeopardize not getting enough money and having to go to the school i cant afford
 Mentor:
okay so I did ED when I applied and i could not afford nyu. but you CAN get out of ed. Idk if you know this but, essentially, if you get in ED you can go through a trial process where you don't have to attend becaus eyou finanxially cannot. ED is a "you have to go here" but you CAN get out of it. Your bank has to essentially contact nyu and there's a process for it but they just have to say you cant afford it, and you will be allowed to attend another school.
 Mentor:
that's a very real thing.
 Mentee:
i mean i could afford it thats the thing
 Mentee:
i can afford it we have the assets, but i still wouldnt want to go to an insanely expensive school
 Mentor:
Then apply RD. You have a good amount of stats. and if you let nyu know you can afford it then tbh they are more inclined to accept you. So write a solid essay, shoot for a better science and maybe higher math score, and write a killer essay. Do not write a cliche essay. the essay, especially here, is a huge part of the admisions decision
 Mentee:
yeah i think i have a good idea for an essay
 Mentee:
my friend was waitlisted with a 3.8 and a 31 bc his essay was so good
 Mentee:
nyu is a big fan of our school as well. we get a lot of students in there
 Mentor:
Ahh yea school relations is also important. If you ever would like me to read over an essay, btw, I'd be happy to
 Mentor:
Ahh yea school relations is also important. If you ever would like me to read over an essay, btw, I'd be happy to
 Mentee:
thank you
 Mentee:
i read somewhere on the website some time ago that the GPA mean was lower than the median and it was like a 3.7
 Mentee:
is that still true
 Mentor:
It's gone up as interest in nyu has gone up. the more applicants that apply , specifically to stern, the acceptance rate owers and the gpa raises. I believe it's around 3.9
 Mentee:
3.9 UW?
 Mentor:
Yes. 3.9 UW. and I spoke to one of my friends yesterday who is in stern and for the sat they require arround a 2100, which in ACT terms is about a 33/34. So You're doing well. I genuinely feel that you have a lot of things going dor you in regard to this school: They have an affinity for your high school (which makes it easier/harder depending on how many people frommyour school apply. because coleges can only, for the most part, take a certain nimber of students from a specific high school. But you act score is great, and if yku get it higher than that's even better. and, because nyu is very "moneymoneymoney" it's good for THEM speaking kf RD to know that if they accept someone they won't need to give then scholarships/etc. They look for that. "How much can he/she put into the school so we don't have to gice out scholarships." T's twisted but it's the american private school system. What were your extra curriculars?
 Mentee:
i think i could probably get a 33/34 but what if i dont? is a 32 good enough?
 Mentee:
to at least be competitive
 Mentor:
Yes, I believe so. Something I never realized when I was in high school was colleges do see more than just your act score. I never tell people my act score (I say "My mom knows it and NYU knows it. those are the only people who need to know") but I was worried I wouldn't get in as it wasn't exactly the score nyu said "was their minimum score", but i had a really hard application orocess (2 common app essay's, 1 research essay, personal essay, Music theory online test, and had to record a video of myself singing) So if you put a lot into your essay, and your transcript is what they're looking dor, Your ACT really isn't so important. and Ben, 32 is a great score. So you're genuinely in a great place. If your act was lower - if your gpa wasn't as strong, then maybe i'd say "It's iffy". But you'r ein a great spot. and if you apply and don't get in, It's politcal. You have the stats- and if your essay is what it shluld be, then there's no reason you shouldn't get in. Be confident. I think you're in a great place (Fyi: I know a number of people here who did MUCH worse on their act and had not so great grades, but are here. Stern is of course a difficult business school, so the stats have to be higher, but i know a few people in stern who have less than what you do.) if you ever feel worried just remember: Applying to college is a lot easier than it often feels
 Mentee:
thank you so much
 Mentor:
Of course! Here to help - and if you ever have any other questions feel free to ask