999 Views     701 Upvotes    1 Minutes Read    360 Words 
 Upvote Go Back #Stanford
 Mentee:
I have some questions regarding engineering. In particular I wanted to ask how I know if it is something I would be good at. What traits do really good engineers have? When I go to college I want to major in something that I both like and have a natural aptitude for. So I want to see if I have the talent that is necessary in engineers
 Mentor:
Well, one exercise I recommend is to write down a list of things you absolutely know you DO NOT want to do in college. And then write a list of things you consider yourself to be good at. Once you have those two lists, give some thought to career paths that you didn't mention on the first list and explore from there.
 Mentee:
Very helpful! Thank you for that advice
 Mentor:
No problem. Do you have anything else on your mind?
 Mentee:
Yeah...are ivy leagues worth the money?
 Mentee:
Also I forget if this was part of your profile or not so I wanted to know if you can grade sat essay?
 Mentor:
Ivy leagues solely depend on what you put into it. I have friends at many and they have enjoyed their experience so far. But again, your career and your effort have a lot to do with it
 Mentor:
What do you mean by "grade sat essay?"
 Mentee:
I am preparing for it and I'm not sure how to score it.
 Mentee:
Like I don't know what score I would get for it out of 12
 Mentor:
Did the College board update the scoring system again? I ask because I haven't been keeping up
 Mentee:
Last year a new sat was introduced
 Mentee:
I have read the rubric but writing is one of those things where it is very hard to be sure
 Mentee:
I have no clue how my essay comes off in other people's eyes
 Mentor:
Okay, well the SAT (at least when I took it) really had to focus on making sure you supported your thesis/claim with whatever evidence you had.
 Mentor:
It really didn't matter where your examples came from.
 Mentor:
I am not sure how it is now
 Mentee:
Ok
 Mentee:
Thanks. I appreciate you taking your time to thoroughly answer my questions!