1344 Views     1002 Upvotes    3 Minutes Read    781 Words 
 Upvote Go Back #California #SAT-ACT-Prep #12th-grade-Senior #Harvard
 Mentee:
I am from California. I started using this app for more advice on what I could do for test preparation for the SAT or ACT. I am currently a senior; my last year of high school. I am not sure what schools to choose.
 Mentor:
So are you just looking for advice on which schools you should apply to?
 Mentee:
Test preparation too because I haven't taken the SAT or ACT. I am actually scheduled to take the SAT this upcoming October on the first.
 Mentee:
I am lost in preparing for a test like that. I just don't know how to study for that.
 Mentor:
Yeah. There is a giant blue collegeboard book that has like 10 practice tests in it. The most important thing is just practicing a bunch. You don't really "study" for it per se, you just learn the tricks of the test. For me, I was really good at math and writing so I didn't need to practice those as much, but I did a lot of practice for critical reading and bought a book specialized for critical reading. Have you taken any practice tests yet to figure out what your weaknesses are?
 Mentee:
I have taken a bunch of practice tests actually.
 Mentee:
The SAT changed too.
 Mentor:
Oh right I totally forgot it changed
 Mentee:
It would be critical reading, writing, and math. There are three sections and the essay is now optional.
 Mentee:
Most schools expect a essay, so it would be paid separately for extra $12 + the $45 for the written test itself on Collegeboard.
 Mentor:
Yeah it's definitely a good idea to write an essay
 Mentor:
Are you going to take just the SAT or are you going to take both?
 Mentee:
I'm not sure. It would be best to take both and see how I do on them.
 Mentor:
Yeah that's a good idea
 Mentee:
I find myself drowsy while taking the practice tests because it is a long test.
 Mentee:
The reading section especially burns me out.
 Mentor:
Yeah I used to get drowsy too. I think that the more practice tests you do the more accustomed you get to the length of the test
 Mentee:
I'm fine with math otherwise
 Mentor:
Okay. So then it would be good to practice reading and writing. Taking full length tests is also good to get used to the length of the exam, but I would focus mainly on reading and writing. Try to do a few sections everyday for practice
 Mentee:
I will actually take a practice test by tomorrow.
 Mentor:
Okay great. Mark all of your wrong answers and try to redo them to see where you went wrong. Let me know how it goes!
 Mentee:
I was actually taking a prep course. They made you do practice tests every Friday, so I have done at least seven of them. Since my course had been over, I asked for another practice test for more practice.
 Mentor:
Okay that's good
 Mentee:
The highest score I got was a 1060 out of 1600.
 Mentor:
Okay. And what types of things did you struggle with?
 Mentee:
The reading and writing.
 Mentee:
The writing is okay compared to the reading. The reading, I need more work on that.
 Mentor:
Anything specifically within reading? Like the reading questions, the summary questions, the vocab questions, etc.?
 Mentee:
Everything to be honest
 Mentor:
Hm okay
 Mentee:
There is no vocab like the old sat anymore
 Mentor:
Okay
 Mentor:
I think the best thing is just to keep practicing
 Mentee:
Not much else possible I could do
 Mentor:
You could try buying a book specialized for reading that has practice tests in addition to reading that teaches you how to answer different types of questions
 Mentee:
I should get one
 Mentor:
Yeah
 Mentor:
I got one that was really good. But it was for the old sat
 Mentee:
When you took the sat, how did you prepare?
 Mentor:
I went through an entire giant college board book and then a separate critical reading book
 Mentor:
And my precalc teacher gave us some practice math sections for home works
 Mentee:
Did you fill out the entire college board book?
 Mentee:
Some people do that
 Mentor:
Yeah. I did a lot of practice
 Mentor:
I ended up taking the SAT 4 times
 Mentor:
But it was over the course of an entire year
 Mentor:
Almost
 Mentor:
I took it January of junior year the first time and October of senior year my last time
 Mentor:
Oh haha thanks
 Mentor:
Oops wrong message! Sorry
 Mentee:
No worries
 Mentee:
Today was the beginning of senior year for me
 Mentor:
Awesome! How did it go?
 Mentee:
It was okay
 Mentee:
Have you taken AP stats before?
 Mentee:
That would be my only AP class on my schedule. I have never taken any AP class, until now.
 Mentor:
I haven't taken AP stats, but I have a few friends who took it and they said it was pretty straightforward