910 Views     700 Upvotes    2 Minutes Read    425 Words 
 Upvote Go Back #9th-grade-Freshman #AP-Courses
 Mentee:
During my freshmen year I took all regular, which also didn't allow we to take two honors classes sophomore year, but I was able to take AP Euro and honors English, but as I go to junior and senior year will be able to take all the classes I want, if everything works out I should end my high school career with 10 AP, possibly 11, and three honors classes, so am I wonder for top school will this be enough, and will my easy courseload from freshmen year lessen my chances for these schools
 Mentor:
I think you have quiet a lot AP credits, but you have to check out the acceptance policy on CollegeBoard for Duke; personally I had only 7 AP, but all of them fulfills Duke requirement. Which includes calculus BC, two physics C, biology, chemistry, and two Econ And in regard of your freshman year, I'd say that college application is not all about academics. Top schools look for unique students, so try to distinguish yourself from other applicants
 Mentee:
How do u think u were unique among all the applicants?
 Mentor:
The first item on my activity list is a scientific expedition in Antarctica
 Mentee:
I was thinking about volunteering in the Dominican Republic do you think this would help?
 Mentor:
Yep definitely, and make sure you take journal during the event. That gives you a bunch of materials to refer to, when you write your experience and describe what kinda of person you are to the admission officer
 Mentee:
Will do, thanks for the tip
 Mentor:
And make sure that you are not "volunteering in order to add an item on your list". Show them your thoughts in the essay. Why you are doing that; what method did you use; what did you achieve. Any struggles along the way? How did you tackle them? Take these down during the event, as the memory is fresh
 Mentee:
Thanks for the advice it will really help while writing my essay.
 Mentor:
No problem! My pleasure. Please let me know if you have other questions in the future
 Mentee:
As for the SAT how long before it did u begin to study
 Mentor:
2 months. Vocabulary is the key, make sure you remember at least 1/3 of the Barron 3500 Vocabulary is the key, make sure you remember at least 1/3 of the Barron 3500 That's what I did 3 years ago, not sure whether the exam has changed a lot or not
 Mentee:
Thanks, I really do appreciate all the advice you have given, I will be definitely using it.
 Mentor:
Good luck!