589 Views     400 Upvotes    2 Minutes Read    433 Words 
 Upvote Go Back #UPenn #11th-grade-Junior #Major-Selection #Finance
 Mentee:
I am currently a junior in high school. I'm at a crossroads right now trying to look for the right college and the right major. Many people have told me to major in Finance, but still I am not convinced that a major in Finance is the right major for me. Can you help?
 Mentor:
Of course I can do my best to help as I was recently in the same situation. For me, I looked a major that combines my strengths with my potential career aspirations. There is a lot you can do with a finance/business background. Are you deciding between finance and another major in the business field or finance and a completely different major? If you feel like you more of a quantitative thinker with strong math skills, then I think finance would be a could fit. If you are more of a qualitative thinker and still looking at business, then you might thrive more with a management or marketing background. You could also double major if you want a balance of the two
 Mentee:
Yea I consider myself quantitative. I've been asking and many suggest that I should double major in Finance and International Business. Do you think this is a good idea? Does Wharton cater to a double major like this? Im definitely looking to apply to Penn and Stern in NYU. It's definitely a reach but I feel good about my chances about Stern. My SAT however isn't looking good. I've been taking SAT practice tests during the summer and I couldn't get above a 1230. Did you have probs with the SAT. What are you strategies in approaching tests like these? My chances are little to nothing if I can get a high Gpa but a low sat score
 Mentee:
Hey Mark, was wondering if you got a chance to look at my questions. Appreciate your time.
 Mentor:
Hi Jason I did look over your messages and I would agree that you stern is in your reach but Wharton would probably be a stretch. Penn in general is incredibly flexible with dual degrees and even if you are not in a coordinated dual degree program such as Hunstman LSM or M&T you can still do one and it is not hard to get approved (easier if you're in Wharton and want to do something in the college than vice versa). I don't really know much about the new sat but for the old one it was just a series of tricks to memorize. If you don't have a tutor yet i would highly advise you to get one