672 Views     300 Upvotes    1 Minutes Read    371 Words 
 Upvote Go Back #UC #UC-Berkeley #11th-grade-Junior #Major-Selection #Finance
 Mentee:
I am currently a junior in high school. I'm at a crossroads right now trying to look for the right college and the right major. Many people have told me to major in Finance/International Business, but still I am not convinced that a major in Finance is the right major for me. How is Berkeley's business program?
 Mentor:
Berkeley business program is very competitive. Many people are vying to get in and about 50% of the people who apply actually do. However I will say that the business community is a great community and you'll definitely make a lot of friends who will go far. If you're not interested in finance, dw! There are business classes in marketing, real estate, and much more. However, I will say that you shouldn't do business because others are telling you to major in business. You should major in something you're interested in! :)
 Mentee:
Thanks for the advice. I may have worded it wrong but others are encouraging me to do it and I am highly considering it. I live in the NE and Stern in NYU definitely appeals to my interests. Do you think it would be a good idea to double major to support my major in Finance or should I just stick with finance as my main major? How do you like finance so far? Is it a field to go into?
 Mentor:
No problem! I'd say that you should take classes in what you're interested in and if you happen to fall in love with a subject, go for the double. I don't think that you'd need to support a finance major so only double if you really like multiple academic departments. As for me, I really like finance so far. Though I'm not sure what I want to do yet, finance is a great field to go into. Of course there are different sectors of finance as well which result in very different careers. For instance, investment banking is very different from fintech and finance for a startup. There are many opportunities and it's a competitive field. You still have lots of time to figure things out. Try out different classes in college your first year and see what you like :)